Saturday 14 January 2012

CONCERT OVERLOAD: Concert #619 - Albert Lee at McCabe's Guitar Shop ...

A Blog by Gabe (member of Blogger, from the LA area) about Albert Lee's gig at McCabes Guitar Shop on 13 Jan 2012 with photos. Thanks to Gabe for the great pics and his comments.


Gabe wrote an amendment on Jan 15:
NOTE: I have revised the initial version of this write-up, the result of having slept one more night on my initial feelings about the show.
[read more, follow the link below]

CONCERT OVERLOAD: Concert #619 - Albert Lee at McCabe's Guitar Shop ...


Set List:




















_____________________________________________

Advert by Santa Monica Patch - and Albert has a word:

Best Guitarist You've Never Heard to Play McCabe's



Albert Lee, who Eric Clapton once called "the greatest guitarist in the world," has gone solo. He'll play at the Santa Monica guitar shop Friday night.


His sinuous, quietly-sensational licks have graced albums by everybody from Emmylou Harris to Bill Wyman. He was the bandleader for the Everly Brothers for 20 years. He's been called "The guitar player's guitar player," and "Mr. Telecaster." Eric Clapton once called him "the greatest guitarist in the world."
His name is Albert Lee—and he'll play Friday at McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica.

"It will be nice being the frontman for a change," said Lee. "I'm usually backing someone up, so this gig is going to be a lot of fun."

Although, you may have heard him on at least one of your favorite records, Lee's resume does deserve a good airing-out.

He first got noticed in England in the late 1960s, backing R&B star, Chris Farlowe. After a stint with the country-ish cult favorites, Head, Hands & Feet, things heated up for this extraordinary axeman. In 1976, Lee replaced his hero, James Burton, in Emmylou Harris' Hot Band. From that point on, it was pandemonium. Sessions City, if you will. If you needed a guy to play a solo that smoked so much, you had to open a window afterwards? You called Albert Lee. The Englishman is now comfortably ensconced in Malibu.

A great example of his finger-pickin' lyricism? Take a listen to Carlene Carter's 1991 country hit, "I Fell In Love." It sounds like five guys are playing the solo.

"That song was particularly enjoyable for me to play on," said Lee. "It showcased me nicely and I really like the solo I played. Something about the way I finger-pick works well with that sort of groove. And I even got to be in the video."

The smiling, elfin dude, with the curly, silver-colored candy-floss hair? That's Lee. There's just one geeky, guitar-oriented detail he'd like you to know.

"What I'm holding in the video is a Gold Top Gibson. I used my Fender Telecaster to play the actual solo. But the Gibson looked so cool, had such a '50s-vibe, that it suited the retro look in the video."
Then there are those two English superstars with whom Lee has been known to pal around.
"Yes, I've played in Bill Wyman's band for about 12 years. We do a lot of old R&B and rock 'n' roll; we have a couple of horn players and a keyboardist. It'll be interesting to see if Bill does any gigs with The Stones this year, as it's their 50th anniversary. He's afraid to fly, so that will probably cut into the number of shows he could do. Poor guy. When he left The Stones, he had about $30 million dollars. But that just doesn't seem to go as far as it use to."

And of his friend Clapton?
"One of the best gigs I've ever been involved with was 'The Concert For George,' in late 2002. I'd heard about it and mentioned to Eric that I'd love to be a part of it, but I didn't hear back for the longest time. I didn't really want to bug Eric, you know? I'm lucky to even have his e-mail address. Finally he got in touch. And the whole thing was magic. The reason that show was so good, so moving, was because we rehearsed for two weeks!"

Before he heads off to his own rehearsal, for his McCabe's date, Lee mentions one more sacred gig, with a superstar outfit, that might actually be his crowning achievement.

"Sure, it's great to play with people like Emmylou and The Everlys. But did you know I've also played with Spinal Tap? I did a solo on a song called, 'Break Like The Wind.' There's just no getting around it. As far as gigs go? And jobs on my resume? That one has to be very close to the top."

Albert Lee and band will be at McCabe's on Friday at 10 p.m. Tickets are $22.50. For more information go to mccabes.com